Select Page

Madagascar News Forums Food for thought the domination of the Merina oligarchy Reply To: the domination of the Merina oligarchy

#302
Madagascar
Keymaster

Paul Locamus, the largest settler in northwestern Madagascar, became known as soon as the French began to take possession of the bay of Diego-Suarez. In fact, he created the Société de grapeerie and built in 1889 the Antongombato canning factory, later bought by Rochefortaise. He then turned to Nosy Be in 1893 to obtain the granting of several concessions to Andavakoto, Ambatoloaka, Andilana, Nosy Sakatia …, for a project to construct another factory to manufacture canned beef. But his plan lasted until the annexation of Madagascar in 1896.
Dr. Lafage, the administrator and mayor of Nosy Be, dissuaded him from this: “The establishment of a canning factory in Nosy Be was appropriate four years ago, when Madagascar was not French land And would have met with all sorts of dangers and dangers to establish it on the coast. But today it is no longer the same; There are numerous points on the north-west coast which would lend themselves wonderfully to such an undertaking. In creating the factory at Nosy Be, the general expenses would be singularly increased by the transport of cattle in the island, by maintenance, and even by the creation of the necessary pastures, which ought to be maintained in order to have always what Work 200 heads per day. “
From that day on, Paul Locamus’ men roamed the area indicated by Dr. Lafage, driving the Sakalava away from their land and pasture. “They were terrorizing them. The administrators, chiefs of the regions, made the deaf to the complaints of King Tsiaraso and Queen Binao. The Sakalava continued to emigrate to the mountains by taking their herds of oxen “(Ambalavelona or the anticolonial insurgency in the north-west of Madagascar in 1898 by Cassam Aly Ndandahizara).
In fact, the Antankarana and the Sakalava understand that they are no longer home and that their lands, “these heritages inherited from their ancestors”, no longer belong to them.
Two years later, Paul Locamus obtained the whole of the peninsula of Anorotsangana, including the kingdom of Binao, queen of the Sakalava bemihisatra, and part of that of Tsiaraso, king of the sakalava bemazava.
On July 9, 1899, President Émile Loubet decreed: “Art. 1: In order to colonize and develop the State lands of Madagascar, Mr. Paul Locamus is authorized – subject to the rights of third parties The promulgation of the present decree in the Colony and the rights of the natives as defined in article 5 above, to purchase in the territories hereinafter designated, at a price of 2 francs / ha and under the conditions laid down by The decree of the Governor-General of Madagascar and Dependencies dated 10 February 1899 concerning the concession of State land (…) two hundred thousand hectares of land, namely:
• one hundred thousand hectares to be chosen as a maximum and in one piece in the Bavatobe peninsula, northwest coast of Madagascar, among the limited land, on the south by the Bevondra river; To the south-east and east by the Djangoa river; To the north-east by the bay of Ampasindava; North-west, west and south by the Mozambique Canal;
• two hectares of land on the island of Nosy Komba for the installation of a sanatorium.
The complement of two hundred thousand hectares, including half pasture by four lots of at least twenty five thousand hectares each, (will be chosen) from available land in the northwestern and western regions of Madagascar.