Select Page

Madagascar News Forums Today’s Living has changed traditional Malagasy games Reply To: traditional Malagasy games

Madagascar
Keymaster

I am ashamed to put my fingerprint in place of my signature whenever the Mayor or the Township Leader asks me to sign an official document … “
“When I go to the temple, I can not read like the other faithful either the collection of the hymns or the Bible …”
“I have children and I do not want to be late on them so they say to me: Dad, you do not understand anything! “
“I’m a farmer, but I can not read or write. I am very anxious to know what is written in these little pamphlets which the foreman gives us. I often leaf through them without being able to penetrate the meaning of those black spots that people call words … “
These are some of the reasons why villagers at the beginning of Independence ask that a literacy center be created at the communal level. In order to prove their good will, they make available to the village literacy team, a permanent place in the public school, if there is one; A team of village scholars who volunteer for the campaign.
The establishment of a center obeys several conditions. First, the provincial literacy instructor, monitors, local authorities, elected officials and facilitators, each as far as he is concerned, gather the inhabitants or even go door-to-door to explain the need for Fight against illiteracy. “It is above all in this first stage to shake inertia, to overcome hesitation, in short it is a matter of bringing people to adhere freely to the action. “
When the population decides to create a literacy center after careful consideration, the provincial instructor is informed through the mayor. The instructor or instructor comes to the village to see how the village team is constituted and to ask the villagers about their motivations before giving the team members a very practical training on the method of literacy.
The peasants then choose the days and times that are suitable for literacy classes. Most of the time, they opt for the “fady” days – for example, Tuesday and Thursday on the East Coast – during which they do not work in the fields.
Despite their goodwill, students – adults over the age of 15 – have enormous difficulties in retaining the reading and spelling of the words they learn. Moreover, having never held a pen or pencil, their gestures are very awkward. They need a lot of writing exercises to soften their fingers. However, thanks to their perseverance and their thirst for learning, difficulties are gradually overcome.
Other problems are also observed, such as the irregularity of the course, which is generally due to economic and social reasons. This sometimes leads to the lack of homogeneity of the group in certain centers. To remedy this, the village team is obliged to set up two or three levels, depending on the case.
Nevertheless, the delay in reading is easier to catch up. According to the program adopted at the time, the same lesson is repeated twice in succession. “It is obviously a question of revising and increasing the difficulties of the exercises of application and control. Thus, for example, new words constructed from the elements already known are dictated. If the circumstances so require, one does not hesitate to turn back before going on to a new lesson.
“Literacy is a means, an instrument of progress. Those who know how to read and write can, if they wish, transform their lives by developing their knowledge and improving their working methods. A people who always want to go forward must work to encompass the obstacles that arise on their way to progress, to learn and live at the rhythm of the cultural, technical, economic and social evolution of today’s world without Denying the wisdom of the Ancestors “(General Commissariat for Rural Animation and Civic Service).