The town of Morondava is located 660 km from Antananarivo, in the western part of Madagascar, on the edge of the Mozambique channel.
This capital Menabe, built by King Andriamandazoala in about 1540, is at the mouth of Morondava river, the Mozambique channel and the Hellot channel (completed in 1930s). Menabe region was really strong at that time and especially when Andriandahifotsy ruled (17th century) before the merina attack and colonialism.
Sakalava and Vezo have the largest population, in addition to Indian, Chinese and European communities – some dating back to colonial times.
Diary production, fishing and agriculture are the livelihoods of its inhabitants.
But when it comes to tourism, Morondava is famous for the “Allée des Baobabs”, but the region has another attraction that deserves more recognition: the Kirindy archives are extremely rich in natural resources to be found for example foxes, Bethany Island where boot factory, beautiful beaches can be found welcoming the hunters, the forest etc.
Leaving Morondava also the Bemaraha can go to China town or to the town of Belo-sur-mer (by bus when the roads are bad)
Morondava and the surrounding area has several hotels and various shops.
And people can get there by plane or by car.
- ANNIVERSARY OF THE MALAGASY INDEPENDENCE - June 28, 2022
- VULNERABLE HOUSEHOLDS IN AMBOHIMAHASOA AND ISANDRA - June 23, 2022
- AMBOVOMBE LYCEE HIGH SCHOOL - June 18, 2022